Last week, it was my birthday. And I wasn’t where I’d planned to be, because I was no longer with whom I’d planned to be with (hence hopping over the water for a while). But the best of it was made for me, with a handmade surprise mad hatter’s birthday breakfast tea party (just amazing – pics below!) and then a trip to a beautiful winery for a delicious, long lunch with much wine. My friend here has taken cheering me to heart and single-handedly saved what otherwise could have been a day of sorrowing. I also received several touching presents and cards that lifted my heart.
I’ve never been down around my birthday. I love to celebrate, and a number’s just a number after all! When I think of some of the things that have happened by the time I’ve turned this one: releasing myself from an occupation of reluctant accounting, starting my own business, travelling the world, publishing my own book, meeting the people I’ve met and seeing the sights that I’ve seen – I can say I’m happy with how I’ve got here.
So, to celebrate having turned thirty, here’s a list of thirty observations I’ve had upon doing so, in the order that they came to me.
1. Who doesn’t love a list?
2. Don’t heed the snake within (& that’s a sneak peek quote from my current NaNoWriMo work in progress, fantasy novel Luminosa).
3. If it is at all possible, find something in any given situation to laugh at.
4. It’s always tea time.
5. ‘Tis better to catch on late than never.
6. Smile at everyone and see what happens.
7. Patience is a virtue, but the really, really hard-to-find kind.
8. No matter how low you feel, someone’s suffering more in Game of Thrones.
10. See beauty everywhere you look.
11. I love books. But I can appreciate the Kindle.
12. Friends are treasures; guard them.
13. If something’s not okay, try and try and try to make it better.
14. It is better to love.
15. Never take a good shower for granted.
16. Be bold.
17. You can move all over the place, but it’s where you’re at inside that matters.
18. Say what you think; sometimes you’ll be surprised at the support from unexpected corners.
19. If you can’t help but lose something, remember it fondly.
20. People are kind.
21. Sending & receiving postal love changes the value of a stamp into something priceless.
22. Thirty years is a long time (I never said they’d all be meaningful).
23. Keep having adventures.
24. You can’t control what you can’t control. But you can control your occupation, your location and your outlook on life.
25. Regret as little as possible.
26. If something ain’t sitting right, alter it.
27. It’s possible to write 50,000 words in 30 days, whatever else is going on.
28. You might not know what’s next, but there’s probably something good involved.
29. Anything is possible.
30. Be you.
How do you feel about birthdays? Raise a glass with me and be merry, if you haven’t already. There’s nothing wrong with getting older and wiser.